People are sometimes surprised to hear about mold poisoning, simply because we don’t often think of mold as being poisonous. However, the technical definition of a poison is “a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.” When you consider the long list of common mold exposure symptoms, you’ll see why some people consider mold poisoning to be an accurate term.
The poisoning occurs when people inhale tiny mold spores, which easily become airborne. Not all types of mold cause poisoning, though, and some types are more harmful to the health than others.
Common Mold Exposure Symptoms
The symptoms of mold poisoning will vary from person to person, depending on the type of mold to which they have been exposed, the amount of mold to which they have been exposed and their overall health.
Common mold exposure symptoms may include:
Prevention of Mold Poisoning
At first glance, it might seem obvious that the way to prevent mold poisoning is to avoid exposure to mold. That’s true, but it’s not as simple as it might seem.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold in homes is a fairly common problem, though exact statistics are not available. The CDC reports that the most common types of mold found in homes are Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium and Penicillium, though there are more than 100 types of mold found in homes across America.
Mold is most commonly found in damp areas or areas with excessive moisture. Leaky roofs, leaky pipes and leaky windows can all contribute to the development of mold in a home. Bathrooms are often affected since the shower can keep the air moist. To prevent mold-related health problems, you must prevent the growth of mold in your home. Fix any leaks as soon as possible. Consider using a dehumidifier in damp areas such as basements. Avoid carpeting in bathrooms, as mold often grows beneath the carpeting where it is difficult to detect and clean up. Turn on exhaust fans when showering, to prevent excessive moisture from leading to the growth of mold in showers.
Dealing with Mold Exposure Symptoms
We recommend seeing a physician if you experience mold exposure symptoms. Some symptoms will resolve if you eliminate all sources of mold from your home but some symptoms may require medical attention. For instance, if you have any type of mold-related infection, you will probably need antibiotics in order to recover.
Of course, in order to prevent symptoms from returning or getting worse, you will need to thoroughly remove all traces of mold from your home environment. Keep in mind that mold can grow in multiple locations in one house, and in fact often does, because mold spreads very easily. Tiny mold spores can be tracked from room to room on shoes or clothing, or spores in the air can be pulled into air ducts and then dispersed throughout the home when the heat or air conditioning is turned on. To make sure all traces of mold are removed and that the removal process does not expose you further, we recommend calling in a mold removal specialist.
Why We Recommend Calling a Mold Removal Specialist:
Just click on the link for a list of qualified mold removal specialists near you.